New Year, New Education Resolutions
New year, new resolutions. Just because 2020 has already officially started, does not mean it is too late to make one. The purpose of a resolution is to benefit you throughout the entire year. Check out these great education resolutions that can work for any student looking to make positive changes to their lives this year.
- Change your sleeping habits. Sleep is a crucial part of educational development. Your brain will not be able to retain any information during class if you are feeling groggy. The best way to wake up feeling refreshed is to get an allotted number of hours of sleep. Seven to eight hours is an ideal range. To ensure falling asleep and staying asleep, eliminate any screen time 30 minutes before bedtime.
- Read a new book each month. It’s OK to set aside those textbooks for a couple of minutes each day to enjoy some leisurely reading. When you’re reading a book that interests you, it no longer feels like a chore. Switch out TV or phone time before bed with a chapter or two of a good book. It’s a great way to help you feel relaxed to fall asleep (Hint: #1).
- Limit your screen time. If you’re feeling extra brave, extend your break from screen time longer than just before bed. Social media may seem inevitable, but don’t make it the last thing you look at before bed and the very first thing you check in the morning. Switch out the constant scrolling with taking in sights, sounds, and smells around you, or with small productive tasks that will enrich your day and productivity.
- Take up journaling. Everyday life is not without its stress and anxieties. A great way to battle these effects is through the practice of jotting down your thoughts. Sometimes, seeing your feelings on paper can lead to identifying trigger points and overcoming certain stressors. The journal can also be used to draw, mark important moments, write poems, or whatever help you channel your emotions and creativity in a positive way.
- Learn outside of the classroom. Resources like books and the internet can provide a world of knowledge. Most public libraries offer a free membership for those living within the county. The internet is a free option housed with informational podcasts, articles, and TED talks.
Resolutions are a positive way to kick start your year. Don’t overwhelm yourself with trying to accomplish all on this list. Working on one or two is a great start. You’ll be surprised at which ones may morph from a resolution to a habit.